Albert Handell lives and paints in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and teaches nationally and internationally.
Since 1961, he has had over thirty one-man shows and has received over seventy prizes and awards, including the following partial listing from the annual exhibitions of:
- The Allied Artists of America, New York City
- The Audubon Artists of America, New York City
- The National Academy of Design, New York City
- Academie Artists of America, Springfield, Massachusetts
- The Pastel Society of America, New York City
- The Butler Institute of America Art, Youngstown, Ohio
- State University of New York, Albany, New York
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- National Arts Club, New York City
- The Schenectady Museum, Schenectady, New York
- The Berkshire Museum of Art, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Albany Institute of History and Art, Albany, New York
- Artists of America (Denver- Rotary Club) 1983, 1984, 1990
Mr. Handell has received grants from the John F. and Anna Lee Stacy Foundation and from the Elizabeth T. Greenshields Foundation, Montreal Canada. His paintings are in numerous private and public collections and museums.
Permanent Collections (Partial Listing):
- Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, Ohio.
- Ranger Purchase Award, National Academy of Design, N.Y.C. Donated to Bates College, Lewistown, Maine
- Elizabeth T. Greenshiekls, Memorial Foundation and Museum, Montreal, Canada
- Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY
- Schenectady Museum of Art, Schenectady, NY
- Syracuse Museum of Art, Syracuse, NY
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- R.K. Mellon Art Acquisition Fund Purchase
- Sidney Mishkin Art Gallery at Baruch College, City University of New York City
- Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, Pennsylvania
- The Rio Hotel and Casino in the Italian Resort of Bellagio, Las Vegas, Nevada
A partial listing of one-man gallery and museum shows:
- Albert Handell: A Pastel Retrospective 2007- with Recent Oils. The Butler Institute of American Art. Youngstown, Ohio. September 9 – November 19, 2007
- The Ventana Fine Art Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1987 to the present
- The Guild Gallery, New York City, 1979
- The Albany Institute of History and Art, Albany, New York, 1977
- The Schenectady Museum, Schenectady, New York, 1976
- The Berkshire Museum of Art, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 1975
- The Eileen Kuhlich Gallery, New York City, 1973
- The A.C.A. Gallery, New York City, 1966
- The Fitzgerald Gallery, New York City, 1961-1963
Mr. Handell now exhibits with the Ventana Fine Art Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where, since 1987, he has had annual one-man shows.
Selected Recent National and Group Exhibitions:
- Albert Handell: A Pastel Retrospective 2007- with Recent Oils. The Butler Institute of American Art. Youngstown, Ohio. September 9 – November 19, 2007.
- Oil Painters of America, since 1997 continuously
- CONTEMPORARY ROMANTICISM; LANDSCAPE IN PASTEL, Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, Pennsylvania, 1999
- First Annual Laguna Beach Plein Air Invitational Competition, Laguna Art Museum, Laguna Beach, California, 1999
- THE AMERICAN SCENE, A National Exhibition of Major Works, Van Vechten-Lineberry Taos Art Museum, Taos, New Mexico, 1999
- Albuquerque Museum Annual Miniatures Exhibitions 1996, 1997, 1998
- The Plein Air Painters of America, Invited Artist, Catalina Island, CA 1998
- “Tradition” John Pence Gallery, San Francisco, CA 1996
- C.M. Russell Museum, Great Falls, Montana 1999
Books co-authored by Albert Handell on his painting techniques and his works: All books are published by Watson Guptill Art Publications, New York City.
- Painting the Landscape in Pastel, Albert Handell and Anita Louise West, published 2000
- Intuitive Light, Albert Handell and Leslie Trainor Handell, published 1995.
- Intuitive Composition, published 1989, is in its third printing
- Pastel Painting Workshop, published in 1981, is in its fourth printing and is translated into German
- Oil Painting Workshop, published 1979, is in its sixth printing and is translated into German
Recent articles about Albert Handell:
- Albert Handell – “A Touch of Magic” by Anne Hevener, Pastel Journal, August, 2009
- A Retrospective Exhibition of Albert Handell’s Pastel Paintings” by Stephen Doherty, American Artist, October 2007
- Albert Handell – “An Intuitive Approach” by Devon Jackson, Southwest Art, October, 2007
- Albert Handell – “Making every moment count in Pastel Painting”, by Ruth Summer, The Pastel Journal, March – April 1999
- Albert Handell – “Brilliant Hues”, by Joy Waldron, Southwest Art, March 1999
- Albert Handell – “Honoring the Mystery”, by Jo Ann Baldinger, Focus/Santa Fe, October – November – December 1998
- “Albert Handell – On Color”, by Jim Lynch, American Artist, September 1996
- Albert Handell – “Creating Light Through Color”, Art Masters, Spring 1994
- Albert Handell – “Painting Light with Shadow”, Art Masters, Spring 1994
Additional articles about Albert Handell:
- “Teacher Achievement Awards, Pastels”, $1,000 cash award, plus an article in American Artist Magazine, June 1994
- “Albert Handell: He Saw the Light” by Vicki Stavig, Art of the West, January – February 1993
- “Tastes That Make Life Grand: The Works of Albert Handell”, by Segue Smith, Focus/Santa Fe, April – May 1989
- “Magic Show: The Works of Albert Handell”, by Mary Carroll Nelson, Southwest Profile, August 1987
- “Albert Handell Enraptured”, by Joy Murphy, Southwest Art, April 1986
- “Albert Handell”, by Kitty Gibbons Silvery, Art Gallery International, September 1985
- “The Pastels of Albert Handell”, by Joy Murphy, Southwest Profile, June 1984
- “Albert Handell: Landscapes in Pastel”, by Leslie Trainor, American Artist magazine, December 1981
- “The Inner Universe of Albert Handell”, by Heather Meredith-Owens for American Artist magazine, April 1971
For a period of fifteen years, 1960-1975, Albert Handell’s pastels were included in every book published on pastels in the U.S.A. His pastels enjoy international reputation.
In 1987, The Pastel Society of America elected him into the Pastel Hall of Fame, making him one of three living artists so honored.
In 2000, the Pastel Society of the West Coast honored him by electing to give him their first, ever, Life Time Achievement Award for Pastel.
He is well known for his Painting Workshops, which he conducts nationwide and abroad. He is now represented by the Ventana Fine Art Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico; the Howard Portnoy Gallery in Carmel, California and the Third Canyon Gallery in Denver.
Additional publications including Albert Handell (Partial Listing):
- “The Best of Sketching and Drawing”, by Terry Sullivan, Quarry Books, Rockport Publishers, Inc., Gloucester, Massachusetts 1999
- “The Best of Pastel”, by Constance Flavell Pratt and Janet Monafo, Quarry Books, Rockport Publishers, Inc., Rockport, Massachusetts 1996
- “Architecture in Color Drawings”, by John S. M. Chen, McGraw Hill Publications, New York City, 1996
- “The Best of Oil Painting”, by Tom Nicholas and John C. Terelak, Quarry Books, Rockport Publishers, Inc., Rockport, Massachusetts 1996
- “Drawing with Pastels”, by Ron Lister, A Spectrum Book, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1992
- How to Paint Figures in Pastel, by Joe Singer, 1973
- How to Paint Portraits in Pastel, by Joe Singer, 1971
- Patel Painting Step by Step, by Elinor Lathrop Sears, 1966
- Who’s Who in American Art, Marquis Publications
- Dictionary of International Biography, Cambridge, England